The HEA Assessment Item Team manages a collection of approximately 10,000 assessment items for licensure examinations including USMLE, COMLEX, PANCE/RE, NAPLEX, and NBDE. New items are required and old items need to be periodically reviewed and this is done by relying on content experts who work as independent contractors. The HEA Assessment Item Editor - PT will assist as both an in-house content expert, with a focus on USMLE clinical materials and as a manager of outside content experts, especially those with a clinical focus for all licensure examinations.
- M.D., D.O., or Ph.D. with experience teaching allopathic or osteopathic medical students in clinical sciences.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google products.
- Must demonstrate the ability to edit and write clearly and concisely
- Must possess strong familiarity with medical terminology and standard style manuals
- Must be able to pay meticulous attention to detail, assess priorities, and to adjust work schedules appropriately in order to meet deadlines
- Must possess excellent organizational, planning, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Must demonstrate good interpersonal and communication skills with colleagues and subject matter experts
- Must be able to manage multiple tasks for assigned exams that are concurrently in different stages of development or production
- Must be able to work independently and to accept full responsibility for quality and timeliness of work
- Must demonstrate trustworthiness and commitment to maintain confidentiality/integrity of copyrighted/secure business materials
- 5 years experience writing “board-style” assessment items.
- Experience as an item writer for USMLE/NBME or COMLEX a plus.
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Write new clinical assessment items with explanations in coordination with curriculum team, illustrators, and academic managers.
- Review and update clinical assessment items and explanations with attention to quality control of test items, style, fact-checking, consistency of medical terminology, exam-specific criteria, principles of good question construction, format, clarity, clarification of medical-content issues, and evaluation of edits/comments and flawed items.
- Lead item writing workshops.
- Review work submitted by independent contractors, decide if the work is acceptable, rate the quality, and provide feedback including tactful suggestions for revision and improvement or items and item writing skills.
- Ensure items are extracted from the learning management system for review.
- Ensure accepted updates and new items are imported into the learning management system for use.
- Collaborate with the curriculum and academic team to improve the overall item quality, style, consistency, and value.
Job Functional Area
Kaplan is an Equal Opportunity Employer